IMAP is a protocol that keeps all messages and folders on the server. In addition, IMAP idle is an optional feature of the IMAP protocol that pushes all new messages to Outlook as they are received by the mail server. Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your SmarterMail mailbox and your email client(s). This means when you log in to the SmarterMail Web interface, actions you performed on email clients and mobile devices will automatically appear in the Web interface (and vice versa). IMPORTANT: It is recommended that you avoid putting sub-folders under your Inbox as IMAP synchronization with most email clients is unreliable. This is a limitation of mail clients and NOT SmarterMail. While the SmarterMail web interface does allow you to create folders in your inbox, realize that those folders may not appear in your email client.
Applies to SmarterMail 10.x - 12.x
Follow these steps to set up Apple Mail to sync with SmarterMail via IMAP :
- On your Mac, open System Preferences.
- Click Internet Accounts.
- Click Add Other Account...
- Select Add a Mail account and click Create
- Complete the display name, full email address and password fields.
- Click Create.
- Type the root URL to your SmarterMail webmail. For example, http://mail.example.com.
- Click Next.
- For the Incoming Mail Server options select the IMAP for account type. Complete the required filed : Incoming Mail Server, User name (full email address), and Password
- Click Continue
- If you receive an message stating "cannot sent your password securely to the server" click Continue
- For the Outgoing Mail server options fill in the required files: Outloging Mail server and if you require SMTP authentication click Use Authentication and fill in with full email address and password
- Click Continue
- You will see an account summary page and now click Create
Mac Mail is now set up to send and receive emails using IMAP.